Things to Know Before Starting Your Snail Farming Business

Snail%2BFarming

Snail Farming

The farming of land snails is called heliciculture, and it’s a very lucrative business venture for the practitioners.

Certain types of snails are favored for commercial farming because of their size and the quantity of meat they produce. Many species of snails that are good for farming are found in Europe, North and South America, Asia and Africa. Each area has different species that thrive in varied environments.

Not all snails are consumed by humans; some can be downright toxic. Some have other uses: many produce substances used by cosmetic manufacturers. Luckily most large land snails are edible and are a highly sought-after delicacy that attracts a premium price in the marketplace.

Habitat for Snails

jhj%20jj

Snails are nocturnal and can be found in different habitats from woodlands to open fields, flower beds and gardens to moist sand dunes and under vegetation. Many are found in Europe, India, Africa and the Middle East.

What Do Snails Eat?

The snail despite its apparent sluggishness is a highly voracious feeder, depending on the choice of delicacies in its immediate environment. Snails feed on fruits, vegetables like cabbage, microscopic algae and moist leaves like banana or plantain leaves or lettuce.

Snails love lettuce and most vegetables we eat; they can also chow down on carrots, mangoes and apples. Snails prefer eating living plants, and you can also find them eating certain mushrooms and fallen leaves.

Other important food sources for your land snail can include algae, decaying leaves, flowers, and the bark of trees. Snails also actively seek calcium because it is an important ingredient that helps build their shells. Snails are not strictly herbivores but more like omnivores because they are opportunistic feeders.

Snails also drink water so farmers should provide a source of water that is easily reachable.

Starting an Escargot Business

guhy

The escargot business is lucrative and attracts a premium price for snails that are hand-reared in snail farms. The business can encompass the rearing, wholesaling or retailing of snails to customers and end users.

Escargot businessmen have to be acquainted with the rules and regulations of the country they operate. You can concentrate on the top species of snails in your locality. Then build your pen in a moist, humid area with good soil and stock with high-quality snails.

Introduce earthworms to help loosen the soil, and give your snails fresh vegetables and fruits. Remember calcium is important and proper egg distribution necessary. Source local and international buyers like supermarkets, restaurants, meat shops and the open market.

Source:Toughnickel

Do snails have any nutritional value? Comment below :point_down:

2 Likes

Good afternoon I’m mayowa by name I want to go into snail farming in ekiti state I want to find out if you can help me set it up and also help with the marketing aspect.

Thanks for the information but how do we introduce earth worm to help loosen up the soil?

Thank you for this information…:+1:

Hello @Mayor-king, read through the following articles:

I hope this helps.