The Opportunity in the Importance of Animal Protein Production

The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. This means 46 - 56 grams per day for the average person. However this may just be enough to prevent downright deficiency and is far from sufficient for optimal body health. It is universally known that animal protein provides all essential amino acids in the right ratio for the human body to make optimal use of them. Therefore the best type of protein is animal protein which can be derived from products like milk, eggs, fish and meat.

The importance of animal protein thus creates great business opportunities for the entrepreneur and agribusiness enthusiast. What are these business opportunities?

Rather than give you a full list of these opportunities I will prefer to create a series where I give one and then have other contributors give one each. That way we all can be more specific in getting readers to better see each opportunity.

Being a Pig farmer myself I am going to discuss pig farming as an opportunity. This post is to help the reader see the opportunity. To start a piggery, the reader will need to do a lot more research and most importantly visit a couple of pig farms. If you are in the Abuja, Nassarawa, Benue, Enugu axis you can contact me to refer you to some pig farms you can visit.

Let us start with some history. Do you know that evidence discovered in Turkey indicates that pigs were domesticated as far back as 9000 BC. Do you know that even though the jewish and islamic faiths forbid eating pork it still remains the most commonly consumed meat worldwide. Do you know that 2015 recorded a total 109.905 million metric tons of pork consumed worldwide.

The pig is a remarkable animal, and perfectly suited to domestication. Pigs are very fertile with a success rate of between 75 and 90 percent every mating, and sows can give birth to 15 piglets a year, which mature quickly, in six to eight months on average. And the pig is an omnivore, most efficiently converting plants and cereals to meat.
Where a cow gestates for nine months and gives you one calf that will take another year or two to get big enough to sell or eat, a pig gestates for four months and gives anything from six to nine to twelve or even more piglets which will get to table size in six months.

Feeding pigs can also be very flexible. On my farm we feed the pigs a mixture of brewery chaff, corn chaff, soybeans chaff, rice husk, bone meal, blood meal and palm kernel chaff. However, these mixtures can be supplemented from time to time with free food sources like vegetable stalks, yam plantain and potato peels, waste foods from restaurants and events, waste fruits and so on.

The land requirements for setting up a pig farm is totally dependent on the size of farm one wants to own. My best advice as regards this is get all the land you need before you start because pigs multiply quickly. Physical structures can be built in phases but you must have the land space available to accommodate growth.

I hope I have been able to properly highlight the opportunity that lies in pig farming as I see it. Please join the conversation. You can contribute to this opportunity or share another opportunity related with animal protein production with the rest of us.

Remember the only thing we know for certain is that there are things we don’t know.

Guchee Benson
Proud Farmer

3 Likes

Really!!! Thanks for this detailed information. I appreciate

pig farming is one of the best, but my problem with the farming is the religion taboo associated with it in Northern part of Nigeria were i stays

2 Likes

I am in Benue State near the Enugu border and would like to take you up on references for pig farms to visit in the area. Thank you.

I will be on Otukpo next week. Call me 08055150305