Yam Porridge can also be referred to as yam soup. It is mainly yam cooked with ingredients and the resulting dish contains some soupy liquid. It is usually not cooked with added vegetables but I always add a little to add some green colour to the meal.
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) white puna yam
- Red palm Oil (to colour)
- 1 [smoked fish (mackerel)
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 1 medium onion
- Fresh green vegetable (eg pumpkin, parsley, scent leaf or green amaranth)
- Habanero or Chilli Pepper & Salt (to taste)
- 2 big stock cubes
Notes on the ingredients
- Add enough red palm oil to make the meal colourful.
- You can use dry fish instead of smoked fish.
Before you cook Yam Porridge
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium sizes. Wash the yam cubes and place in a sizeable pot.
- Wash and cut the onions into tiny pieces. Grind or blend the chilli pepper. Set these aside.
- If using dry fish, soak and pick the bones.
- Pour enough water to cover the yam cubes and start cooking at medium to high heat. If you are using dry fish, add it now.
- When the yams have got a good boil, add the onions, ground crayfish, pepper, stock cubes, palm oil and the smoked fish.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking till the yam is done.
- Add salt to taste and stir very well. Cook at high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green vegetable, stir and leave to stand for about 5 minutes then serve.
Yam porridge is usually eaten alone but you can serve it with fried plantain.
Hello @Everybody, your special Friday recipe is here again. Thank me later!