If you’re a Nigerian or you’ve been here, then the word palm tree will not sound new to you. In the Eastern region, it is popularly known as ‘Nkwu.’ The other regions have unique names for it too, however it is most popular in the east. According to researchers, there are over 1001 unique products that can be gotten from the palm tree.
The Phoenix Dactylifera , or Date Palm, is one of the world’s oldest Palm Trees. It doesn’t grow in Nigeria but is a member of the palm tree family. There are so many other species of this wonderful treasure.
The palm tree is also one of the strongest in the forest and withstands the harshest atmospheric conditions . Let’s see a little more about it:
- Scientific name: Arecaceae
- Family: Arecaceae ; Bercht. & J.Presl , nom. cons.
- Higher classification: Arecales
- Rank: Family
- Kingdom: Plantae
There are so many unique things about this tree that make it special. It is not like any other tree in the forest.
Ten things that will amaze you about Palm Trees
- Not all palm trees are “trees,” and not all plants called “palms” are truly palms.
- There are over 2,500 species of palm trees.
- They are very important [religious symbols]. Palm trees are made up of two different types of leaves which are palmate and the pinnate.
- Many types of staples come from palm trees .
- Palms grow best in USDA Zones 8-10.
- The tallest palm tree can grow up to 197 feet tall!
- Of every plant on Earth, the coco de mer palm tree has been discovered to have largest seeds.
- Palm trees have a history with humans as old as the first societies.
- They are the sources of palm wine .
What products can we get from the Palm Tree?
As we have said earlier, there are over 1001 products which we can get from the palm tree. They range from the fruits to the leaves and even the stem.
Let’s check out some of them below.
Palm Oil : This seems to be the most popular product we get from the palm tree. It is gotten from the palm fruit and is used as cooking oil in most parts of the world. Palm oil is a very healthy source of vitamins, and it’s far more nutritious than people think. It contains saturated fat which is not bad after all. It is also good for the economy.
Brooms : How many times have you bought brooms in the past few months? There are often lorry loads of brooms being transported.
Mass production of brooms creates employment.
- Baskets : I once saw a lorry load of baskets heading to the north. Some people go to the Eastern Nigerian villages buy baskets in bulk and transport them to the parts of the country.
Palm wine : It is so sweet that you will certainly ask for more! Have you ever thought about buying and reselling this product? You can even sell it at your fast food spot or restaurant as an on the extra menu. It’s all about innovation.
Mats : The leaves can be used to produce mats for commercial purposes.