Feature: Young Nigerians draw inspiration from China to engage in farming

Rabbit

(Xinhua) – One of the biggest life dreams of Mukhtar Musa-Daud, a young Nigerian livestock farmer, is to establish one of the largest rabbit farms in Africa’s most populous country.

Since leaving the university five years ago, Musa-Daud has refused to accept a white-collar job as advised by his parents, especially his mother, who, he said, “told me to get serious with my life, and get something doing.”

“I wanted to study veterinary medicine due to my love for animals and livestock in general. I studied microbiology instead. I found out that I have a flair for farming and I have a good hand for livestock,” the 28-year-old told Xinhua in a recent interview at his rabbit farm in Kuje, a neighborhood known for having a huge expanse of farmlands in a suburb of Abuja, the Nigerian capital.

Musa-Daud has been into rabbit rearing for three years now, with customers patronizing his business from all regions of the West African country. He is one of a large number of young entrepreneurs investing in farming as an enterprise, inspired by the government that has been seeking to diversify the economy from oil, as well as the productive farming techniques from China.

INSPIRATION FROM CHINA

Unlike in China and some countries in Europe where rabbits are a common source of meat, in Nigeria, people eat them as bushmeat when they are already processed.

Musa-Daud said his inspiration to have one of the largest rabbit farms in Nigeria stemmed from some online videos he stumbled upon introducing Chinese livestock farmers.

“I got the inspiration to do rabbit farming from the Chinese, and also from our traditional way of farming,” he said, disclosing that the automated feeding and water-drinker system for his rabbits were all concepts he learned from China.

Read more from the source- EIN