Face 1: what is Apiculture or Beekeeping Farming?
Apiculture or beekeeping is the care and management of honey bees for the production of honey and other bee product such as Wax, Propolis etc. In this method of apiculture, bees are bred commercially in apiaries, an area where a lot of beehives can be placed. Bees are mainly reared for their honey, Wax, Royal Jelly, Propolis. Besides that, we also obtain bees venom an indispensable ingredient used to desensitize against bee stings through beekeeping. Bees produce honey from the sugary secretions of [plants]. Although honey is an important ingredient in many food dishes, beeswax holds a lot of commercial significance too. It is used in the cosmetic and medical industry, as well as a coating for cheese, and as a food additive. It is also used as a main component for making candles, preparing polishes for the shoe, furniture, etc.
How to start bee farming
- You need basic knowledge of apiculture such as: bee hive types, swamping period, and handling methods. All these will be handle in second face of the Apiculture venture as alternative to poverty eradication among Nigerian.
- Get a good location for your apiary (FARM), were the insect will have access to shade, flowering plants and water.
- Build or Purchase Beehives
- Purchase Necessary Equipment and Tools
- Place the Hive
- Getting the Bees, either by colonization, fertilization or buy from other bee keeper/farmer
- Caring for the Bees.
- Monitor the Hive regularly