4 Ways to Clean Fresh Eggs

Eggs freshly laid should be analyzed properly especially to prevent contamination of clean eggs and chicks if the dirty eggs explode and during laying. Cleaning fresh egg immediately after laying is an intensive argument topic that involves a lot of questions on the right ways and the best method to be applied.

Let’s take a review on some of these questions as we discuss the ways to clean eggs.:

• Should I wash my eggs after hatching has taken place?
  • Should I use warm or cold water in washing?
  • Should I use soap, bleach or vinegar for cleaning?

And many more questions but before we actually discuss and answer these questions, we’ll like to list the nesting methods that ensure a better output of the eggs.

For you to arrive at freshly clean eggs after laying, the nesting boxes should always be considered.

1. The nesting boxes should be located far from the roosting areas. A roosting area is simply where the chickens go to rest and sometimes poo.

2. The nesting boxes should not be located near a coop door because the chicken can carry in dirt or mud on their feet which is really bad for egg production.

3. Always keep the nesting boxes clean. Often times, most (if not all) hens will use the same box if it is not replaced immediately. This will be more stressful to sort out the eggs daily, so better still, clean up and replace immediately. Remove feathers, poo, and dirt that may be in the boxes before replacing and rearrange or add fresh straw as needed.

Following these steps will set your eggs in the best health manner after hatching. But always know that even with prevention in place and all, you are still going to get soiled eggs sometimes. So let’s talk about how to clean them.

Have you ever seen or touched a freshly laid egg before? It feels a little wet. This wetness is a result of a natural, anti-bacterial coating on the eggshell that acts as a protector for the inside of the egg, not allowing bacteria to get in. This is called a “Bloom”.

So, washing an egg removes (if not all) some of the bloom depending on the method used in washing. This is where the argument comes in. Some people dry their egg using a hand towel, sandpaper, or dry cloth while others clean theirs under running water or soak them in water.

Four Ways To Clean Eggs After Hatching

1. Avoid Coldwater

Always use warm water not cold water when cleaning eggs. Coldwater actually causes the pores in an eggshell to suck bacteria from the surface and into the egg.

2. Do not soak eggs in water.

Instead, wash the eggs under running water or spray the eggs in wire baskets with warm water when the eggs are soiled. After cleaning, spray the eggs with a sanitizing spray using bleach diluted in water but if the water and sanitizing are not enough, dip the eggs into a warm vinegar.

3. Scrubbing

You can also scrub your eggs. Scrubbing works well on eggs that have minimal dirt on the shell. A soft toothbrush applied with gentle pressure should remove any dirt on the shell. Clearly mark the toothbrush, so that it doesn’t get mistakenly used for another purpose.

4. Drying

To dry your eggs, use something dry and slightly abrasive to rub off any dirt or faeces until the egg is clean. This method preserves most of the bloom intact. Use a sanding sponge or loofah to dry-clean the eggs.

Bonus: Do not risk the possibility of contamination when an egg is too dirty. Instead, throw the dirty eggs away or compost them.

Eggs that are meant for personal use can be stored for several weeks unwashed. You can then proceed to wash them when you’re ready to cook them. Some people find that un-refrigerated eggs taste better, but the shelf-life of the egg is prolonged when refrigerated.

I see you mention hatching a number of times in this post.
My understanding of hatching is when a hen sits on eggs that have been laid.
Kindly clarify this.

Thanks for the article.